How to: Recipes
You don't have to be a fancy cook in order to utilize the wonderful taste and health benefits of extra virgin olive oil! Here are a few simple uses that our family enjoys on a daily basis.
I will start off with our personal favorite: An oil dip for bread.
- Pour some olive oil on a small plate (crack some fresh black pepper, and add a dash of salt if desired)
- Slice your favorite bread and toast (I prefer lightly toasted sour dough french bread)
- Dip & enjoy! (Make sure you have enough bread when you start, as this snack will have you reaching for 'just one more!')
Our family also enjoys Greek salad, with a simple but delicious salad dressing
- A traditional Greek salad contains: Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Bell pepper, Onions, feta cheese crumbles, olives, (Other optional additions are lettuce and capers)
- Mix in a pinch of oregano, salt, pepper. Drizzle with olive oil (and red wine vinegar if you prefer it)
Another staple we simply couldn't live without: Home made French fries. There is nothing like a french fry that is cooked in extra virgin olive oil.
Before starting, keep in mind that for high temperature cooking, a high quality extra virgin olive oil will have a smoke point between 390-405 degrees F. This means that if the oil exceeds this temperature, it will begin to smoke and the health qualities will begin to be destroyed.
- Slice up your preferred potato (we like to use organic red potatoes) you can peel the skin or leave them on.
- Pour enough olive oil in a frying pan that the potato slices will be halfway immersed and bring to a medium-high heat
- When oil is hot, gently slide potato slices in (be careful, hot oil will not appear hot and bubbling, but will splash and rapidly bubble when potatoes are placed in it)
- Method 1 - cook for 3-4 minutes and flip to cook other side for another 3-4 minutes or until your preference, either golden or brown
- Method 2- cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, remove from pan and let them cool off. Place back in pan with hot oil and fry for 2 more minutes on each side for delicious crispy skin texture.